Everyone knows that moving can be extremely stressful. Some people are a bit apprehensive about hiring someone to do their moving for them but there are actually a lot of benefits. When it comes to hiring a moving company, there are some questions you need to ask before making your final decision.
- Ask them how long they have been in business. Not that there is anything wrong with start-up companies (because let’s face it, everyone has to start out somewhere) but depending on what you are moving, you may prefer someone with more experience.
- Ask them for their references. A professional moving company should be happy to provide you with references from past customers. Remember that when you get the references, actually call them. Both positive and negative feedback from others who have previously used the company will help you decide if you want to hire them.
- Find out if they carry insurance. Accidents happen all the time so you want to make sure you hire a company who is insured. It is important to make sure your belongings will be replaced if anything were to happen to them.
- Ask them if they perform background checks and drug tests on their employees. This is important because you wouldn’t want a known thief handling your move.
- Ask them if they offer moving estimates. Whether you live in a one story house or a penthouse apartment can have an effect on the additional fees that the company may charge. Make sure you ask about any additional fees they may charge. If you are given an estimate, get it in writing.
- Ask them if they subcontract out their work. If they do, ask them for the name and number of anyone they will be subcontracting to. Make sure you do your research on the other company as well.
- Ask if they offer packing or storage services. You want to make sure all of your belongings are going to be well taken care of during the entire moving process. If you are going to need your items stored, find out if the company offers storage services.
Hiring a moving company can be overwhelming. It is a good idea to speak with several different moving companies to weigh all of your options. When choosing a moving company, their reputation is incredibly important and should be taken seriously. By asking the company these questions and doing a little bit of homework, your move is sure to be an easy one.