Spartan Van Lines offers a professional full packing service which includes labor, materials, crates and packing supplies.
If you choose to pack yourself, please consider the following:
- Use only strong, corrugated boxes
- Have plenty of wrapping paper, bubble wrap and tape
- Prepare markers or colored labels to mark and identify boxes
- Pictures mirrors, glass top tables and other large breakables need to be packed in cardboard boxes (you may want to consider Spartan Van Lines help with some of the more complicated packing)
Before actually packing-up, you need to have a game plan. For example:
- Pack one room at a time and label the boxes by room. This will help you when it comes time to unpack.
- Pack a couple of cartons a day, starting well ahead of the move.
- Be sure that the bottoms of all cartons are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top. Try to keep a per-box weight of 50 pounds or less; it makes moving a lot easier. A general rule to remember on carton size — the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.
- Pack boxes so they are tight and full (use wrapping paper to fill in any empty space inside the box).
- Dish-ware and other breakables are better packed in a “dish pack” or a “china box” (these boxes are made stronger to hold the weight and protect your goods). Line the bottom of the carton with crumpled packing paper. Stack wrapping paper on a work table and wrap each individual plate, cup etc.
- Bureau Drawers — don’t overload. Too heavy a load can cause damage.
- Do not pack liquids, alcohol, oil, flammables, paint, cleaning supplies, detergent or other items that may leak.
- Pack lamps and lamp shade. Please remember to remove the bulbs.
- Mattress boxes are highly recommended (offered at an additional charge).
- Wardrobe boxes with hangers will prevent suits and other hanging clothes from getting wrinkled.
If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to call your Spartan Van Lines representative at 855-597-5900.